A little snag in upgrading to WordPress 2.8

Upon upgrading to WordPress 2.8, everything looked like it ran okay.   When I tried to log in, I had got an error the prohibited me from entering my WordPress Dashbord.   The error I got was:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in <path to my blog>/wp-includes/theme.php on line 387

I tried quite a few different things to get this fixed, such as disabling the plugins in PHPMyAdmin and even renaming the plugins directory itself.   I then got a wild idea to rename the themes directory to something like “themes_old”.   Upon doing that, my blog didn’t display (since there wasn’t a theme to display it) but I was able to access my Dashboard by typing in the URL.   I then created a new themese directory and uploaded a theme to try and everything worked.   My un-scientific conclusion from this is that the theme I was using , Connections Reloaded, was having some sort of issue with WordPress 2.8.   Everything seems to be working as it should now, although I now have to look for a new theme.

5 thoughts on “A little snag in upgrading to WordPress 2.8

  1. Similar thing happened to me. I upgraded WordPress and then the problems started. It was so long ago that I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I know that I couldn’t log in. Also can’t remember exactly what I did to fix it, but I know that I had to manually remove some template files. Now I make sure that my template is compatible with the new version of WordPress before updating. I’m sure that my luck wouldn’t hold out for a second go around!

  2. Wow, thanks so much for posting this. I just upgraded today and ran into the same problem. Your solution worked like a charm.

    1. Glad you found the information useful, Daniel. I tried to Google the problem, but didn’t find anything, hence the post. Maybe it will help someone else down the road.

  3. @Chad
    I’ve posted my solution on my blog. Probably not a general solution. In my case, I have an images.old directory in my theme. Delete this, it all works. So, it seems to be an illegal file or directory problem. My php is not good enough to work it out.

Comments are closed.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑